Sitges 2016: everything's in place for the best fantastic genre of the moment
Screenings, master classes, presentations, Q&As, industry activities, academic activities... The Festival’s wide-ranging selection is ready and waiting.
The 49th Sitges – International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia is ready to open its doors. For ten days, from October 7th to the 16th, the very best national and international fantastic films can be seen at the Festival, which will be a showcase for the latest genre developments, the boldest proposals, the big productions plus the small indie film gems. Sitges 2016 arrives full of outstanding familiar faces from the universe of fantasy and horror, along with younger emerging talents. In addition, the Festival is strengthening its commitment to the best current TV series, a complete selection of the most remarkable animated films and a painstaking repertoire of documentaries.
The Festival will also become a meeting place for the international audiovisual industry. A complete program of activities will bring together the different players from the film sector, becoming a source of opportunities for young directors. This year Sitges 2016, besides offering an important selection of side events, will be reinforcing its Tramuntana Room, and revealing the latest virtual reality trends. A menu for all tastes.
Sitges 2016 in numbers
- Number of films: 174
- Number of films in the official selection: 47
- Number of shorts: 80
- Number of films and shorts at free venues: 121
- Number of TV series: 16
- Number of screenings: 375
- Number of sections: 10
- Number of movie theaters: 4
- Number of screens: 10
- Total seating capacity in theaters: 2,620
- Minutes of film screenings: 22,563 minutes
- Minutes of series screenings: 870 min.
- Minutes of short film screenings: 1,131 min.
- Number of attending artists, directors and producers: 250
- Number of projects presented at the Sitges Pitchbox: 186